Monday, August 10, 2009

Are PHEVs on the Horizon?

A couple of weeks ago, I interviewed Dave Mohler, the chief technology officer of Duke Energy, for an article I’m doing on smart grid technology.

After a lot of discussion about how much Duke is investing in smart grid---with cash, manpower and pilot programs---Mohler revealed what I consider to be his most controversial, yet interesting, point.

I asked him what he thinks the smart grid will bring about that’s unique. He replied, “The one killer app from smart grid tech will be PHEVs.”

PHEVs? Really? I admit it. I was floored. Smart appliances, demand response ideas, even cyber security alternatives, all of these I might have expected from an industry insider, but PHEVs?

PHEVs, by most industry peeps I’ve spoken too in the last few years, is considered to be ... well, dare I write it out? OK, I dare: Silly. Impractical. Even impossible.

And here Mohler is just pulling the rug out from under me. Is he right? Is the smart grid going to give me a plug-in car that I can charge from the house (and that I can use to charge the house, too, if the power goes out)? It’s certainly an interesting idea. And, it’s not coming from the “far left”; it’s coming from Duke Energy---they of the Utility of the Future, they of the 35,000 MW of generating capacity.

It’s just rather shocking to have what my mother would term “hippie talk” from the tech head of one of the largest power companies in the U.S. It’s also exciting, interesting and fascinating.

In related news, U.S. power industry research giant EPRI is working with one of the largest ports in the world, the Port of Long Beach, to test plug-in hybrid “tractors” to unload cargo. The three-month Port of Long Beach demonstration project is part of a one-year demonstration, during which the tractor will also be tested and evaluated at ports in Savannah, Ga., Mobile, Ala., Houston, and New York City. EPRI will document the tractor's performance and operation including electric grid system impact, vehicle system efficiency, emissions, costs and vehicle performance.

Perhaps Mohler can predict the PHEV future for all of us. First the Port of Long Beach, then the world.

1 comment:

  1. I just listened to an interesting podcast about this (ELP Currents episode #6, with John Powers). PHEV's sound compelling:

    - Lower fuel cost to the consumer
    - Far lower emissions
    - Most of the required infrastructure is already in place

    I am interested to know - can you provide details on why there are PHEV haters out there? What do they think is impossible about it? Is it the battery tech?

    ReplyDelete