Tuesday, September 1, 2009

We've Got A New Name

I've been working at Utility Automation and Engineering T and D for four years now. In that time, I have discovered that our magazine name, while incredibly detailed and accurate, is a bit difficult to spit out on the phone, a little hard to add to your name and title to when meeting people. But, I no longer have to worry about that particular problem, since we've changed our name to the leaner, meaner POWERGRID International.

I quite like the name POWERGRID International. I have a real affection for it. It's tight. It's short. It gets the point across quickly, directly. And, it's quite easy to say on the phone, by the way.

PennWell first published POWERGRID International in 1995 under the title Utility Automation magazine. When established, the magazine covered automation, control and IT systems for the electric utility industry. Through the years, it has grown to include SCADA, distribution automation, substation automation, automatic meter reading, GIS and the current hot topic, smart grids.

I guess I might like the name because it says exactly what we cover: T&D, or the grid, from one end to the other, from the power coming out of that generating station, that wind turbine, that solar panel array all the way to your fridge, your AC, your flat screen TV.

Officially, the new name will be revealed in print with our September issue, which is also full of juicy expanded international coverage about smart grids in Europe and work in Tokyo. So, make a note to check it out when it mails this month (and gets posted right here to our new Website, too.)

We hope you enjoy the way this new name, POWERGRID International, rolls off the tongue so easily. I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment